Back in February, I purchased one of these tents and I have been very impressed with the space, weight and speed of pitching. I found out through a post on blogpackinglight that the end poles supplied on some of the early purchases were too long – instead of 53cm they were 54.5cm . This is why the poles were always tight in the pocket located in the flysheet. Once I knew this and after a brief telephone discussion with Bob at backpackinglight (who was very helpful,even though he did not sell me the tent), I contacted the retailer to arrange a replacement. They suggested cutting down the poles to the right length – which I did for a trip to the Lakes. In the meantime the retailer confirmed that they would take it back and replace it – so I did after the trip. Well today the replacement arrived and everything seems to be in order, with an additional item not there last time – “The Pole Doctor” – a grand name for a piece of metal to slip over a snapped pole should it ever happen.
During the conversation with Bob, he suggested a couple of mods/additions which I have purchased from him and I will add to the tent, now I have the replacement. Despite this hiccup – I have used this tent a number of times, solo and with my 14-year-old son and I am impressed with it and now with the right size poles the flysheet will sit better than when I first got it. This is my first ultra light backpacking tent and I have saved around 1.5 kg in weight compared to my old Wild Country tent.
I going to set it up at home over the weekend, add the mods and write-up a review – now I have sufficient experience on the hills with it.
If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to have future content delivered to you by email- see top of right hand side bar on this page and fill out box with your e mail address.